Its 6:45am, I am struggling to talk to God. I am cramping, it is not helping my cause. I whisper a silent prayer and open my phone to get to my Bible app but I end up on Facebook, and as I scroll through it, I find a post by a ’friend’ (we all know Facebook lies about this friendship thing) complaining about the Desire Luzinda’s Faco video advert on his wall.
This friend of mine is not a supporter of feminist, so I was shocked when he posted that he will agree when them (feminist) attacked Desire and FACO for the message their portrayed in their advert. Though, he still thought the feminist will not attack her because it was not a man but a fellow woman, who was putting done their efforts.
I click link and I got my first disappointment of the day. The message in the video clearly states if you are my size (no hips, no big butt, let’s just say skinny, no clear skin (at least I got this covered), you don’t look good, you don’t take care of yourself, and my worst fear of all time, as a woman you can’t be hired on merit (brain matter).
This is remained me why I gave up on main stream media and mainly television. (Not yet sure if that FACO advert is on TV yet.) There is a lot of disturbing content on our media channels that I think needs censoring. A number of uninformed people are passing on information to innocent others who believe in everything their watch on TV and listen to on radio.
I grew up watching TV, it was my play date. I learnt my first English words from it. My sentence construction in speech was aided by the programs I watched. My mother says I lost my eye sight because I spent too much time watching TV programs when I was a kid. I have not watched TV for 4 years now and this is because;
“The media can wreak great harm on the family when it offers an inadequate or even distorted vision of life, of the family itself and of religion and morality.” – Pope John Paul II
- Today’s News content is so negative.
- There are commercials that literally program one into what they should eat, wear, drink, be friends with like the ad above. In most cases you lose yourself esteem watching these things because we all know advertising is meant to make you feel like you need something in order to feel better about yourself. It’s the biggest driving force to make people buy.
- As a content junkie, TV used to supply a lot of it and this meant watching everything I was curious about, it wasted my time. Also the lack of quality shows. The quality of content in the shows was lacking and still is.
- The cost of watching it became expensive. Now days you need a decoder, watching fee, power bills.
- And my biggest issue, not being able to question or interact in-depth with the producers of the aired content I watched.
We should take back our power and consumer what we want and need at particular times as deem not as dictated to us.