While personally the notion of two members of the same sex engaging in sexual behavior is somewhat revolting and offends my sensibilities, the Uganda Constitution (I understand the Uganda gay bill is not implemented) does not exist to protect my sensibilities. Ugandans– even Christian Ugandans, must understand that there are higher ideals that, by design, must take precedence over personal feelings when it comes to an issue such as homosexuality.
I believe that the Constitution of the Uganda was written in a very precise way and that the words on those pages have a direct impact on our lives today and how our nation should move regardless of the many amendments. (Do we still have term limits in there, in the constitution I mean? Forgive my amnesia.)
Anyway there are these are two words Acceptance and Tolerance that are interchanged carelessly when a great social debate such as homosexuality is discussed, and all too often, no one is there to point out the very important difference between them.
But I am here to try;
noun: acceptance; plural noun: acceptances
1. the action of consenting to receive or undertake something offered. “charges involving the acceptance of bribes” synonyms: receipt, receiving, taking, obtaining; a draft or bill that is accepted by being signed.
2. the action or process of being received as adequate or suitable, typically to be admitted into a group. “you must wait for acceptance into the club” synonyms: welcome, favorable reception, adoption “her acceptance into the group”
3. agreement with or belief in an idea, opinion, or explanation. “acceptance of the teaching of the church” synonyms: belief in, trust in, faith in, confidence in, credence in, giving of credence to; willingness to tolerate a difficult or unpleasant situation. “a mood of resigned acceptance” synonyms: toleration, endurance, forbearance, sufferance “the acceptance of pain”
Focus on definition 2 and 3 of acceptance.
1. the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with. “the tolerance of corruption” synonyms: acceptance, toleration; the capacity to endure continued subjection to something, especially a drug, transplant, antigen, or environmental conditions, without adverse reaction. plural noun: tolerances “the desert camel shows the greatest tolerance to dehydration” synonyms: endurance of, resistance to, resilience to, resistance to, immunity to “she has a low tolerance to alcohol” diminution in the body’s response to a drug after continued use.
2. an allowable amount of variation of a specified quantity, especially in the dimensions of a machine or part. “250 parts in his cars were made to tolerances of one thousandth of an inch”
Focus on define 1 of tolerance.
Do you see the difference and the similarities?
Tolerance is believed to be the same as acceptance but I think these were changed to benefit someone – a politician maybe (story for another day). But as you see above there are kinda different.
In that regard a great problem I have noticed with members of the LGBT community is that they are searching for something that they will never find: acceptance. If you listen to the rhetoric that comes out of the LGBT movement, acceptance is really what they desire above all else. They view equality under the law as an extension of acceptance rather than a completely different concept that stands apart from tolerance or equality.
It should be known as a Christian acceptance for this will not pass, it is referred to as unnatural – it led to the destruction of two cities by the God. And by the Word of God, we are bound to resist the LGBT lifestyle. Along with us, are other heterosexual couples that find it unsettling or offensive, that LGBT members engage in sexual behaviors.
Despite their best efforts, the LGBT community will never be accepted like they want to be because inherently, their lifestyle is unnatural and (to many) immoral. This stigma will be hard to get reed of in society as many heterosexual parents are raising their kids the same way they were raised.
In that case this is a suggestion, do not shoot;
Why doesn’t LGBT community stay away from the word “gay marriage”? Like, they just stop pushing for it to be accepted by Christians. It should be known that Marriage to Christians is an institution that was created by God.
Haven’t you ever wondered why most marriages occur in a church? Marriage is defined in the Bible as the God-ordained union between one man and one woman. It is a sacred religious right that was adopted by governments for the purposes of tracking and taxation. Christians feel that they cannot support the term “gay marriage” because it is an affront to God and the institution of marriage that God has ordained. This is the same reason why the gay community will not settle for “civil unions” and desire to be placed on equal footing with heterosexual couples.
In this regard its essence, that all persons must understand each other’s behaviors and consider them as normal, justified, or morally upright. We should continue to exercise our rights to speak out against the behavior of the LGBT community as a whole, but should embrace their equality under the human right laws- the same law that protects their right to openly decry LGBT lifestyle choices.
It’s surely a struggle out here.