“I almost killed myself, yesterday”- she sent to my WhatsApp and then went off.
The closest person to her – the husband who is also the abuser.
What kind of abuse you might be wondering- Emotional Abuse.
While you think you have it worse, other people have it worst so be grateful.
So, as I search for my friend, let me highlight #EmotionalAbuse signs especially in marriage (I am still trying to understand how a newbie to this institution is considered an authority to offer guidance by many marrieds before me – they say it easy to talk to me, I say you supposed to share notes with me) so you don’t miss them with your friends, family and other relations you have.
– Threaten You In Subtle Ways
– You are Always Walking On Eggshells
– Disparaging Humor (allows the person to put you down and make you feel small but also leads you to doubt your own judgment)
– Daily Emotional Roller Coaster (Abusers are sometimes a nightmare to live with, belittling you, controlling you and making you feel awful. Other times, they will be apologetic, loving, and sometimes generous to a fault.)
– Inferiority Complex imposed on you
– You feel trapped.
People facing this kind of abuse tend to think they are not worth any better and it is their fault, as the abuser would want them to believe. Emotional abuse is violence to the other person and leads to mental problems that contribute to suicides.
If the above signs are evident in your life please don’t let your abuser win by taking your own life, reach out and don’t give up no matter what the people you reached out to say.
And if you been reached out to, and you don’t know what to say or do, please don’t say ‘it will get better’ or ‘he/she will change’, find a qualified person to talk to your friend on how to regain her/his power back and overcome the abuse.