I know you have heard this ‘Big Data’ gospel that is taking over the world already, but do you know these facts about it?
- Every 2 days since 2003 we create so much information more than we did from the beginning of time [Source],
- Every minute we send 204 million emails, generate 1,8 million Facebook likes, send 278 thousand Tweets, and up-load 200 thousand photos to Facebook [Source],
- Google alone processes on average over 40 thousand search queries per second, making it over 3.5 billion in a single day. [Source],
- Facebook users share 30 billion pieces of content between them every day. [Source],
- Around 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute and it would take you around 15 years to watch every video uploaded by users in one day. [Source],
- Between them, companies monitoring Twitter to measure “sentiment” analyse 12 terabytes of tweets every day. [Source],
- Almost 90% of all the data in the world was created in the past 2 years. [Source],
- It is expected that by 2020 the amount of digital information in existence will have grown from 3.2 zettabytes today to 40 zettabytes. [Source],
- If you burned all of the data created in just one day onto DVDs, you could stack them on top of each other and reach the moon – twice. [Source],
- 570 new websites spring into existence every minute of every day. [Source],
- The amount of data transferred over mobile networks increased by 81% to 1.5 exabytes (1.5 billion gigabytes) per month between 2012 and 2014. Video accounts for 53% of that total. [Source],
- The number of Bits of information stored in the digital universe is thought to have exceeded the number of stars in the physical universe in 2007. [Source],
- The boom of the Internet of Things will mean that the amount of devices that connect to the Internet will rise from about 13 billion today to 50 billion by 2020. [Source],
- The big data industry is expected to grow from US$10.2 billion in 2013 to about US$54.3 billion by 2017. [Source]
Where can this data be found if one needs to use it? How has an already developed system that collects it? Here are some of the sources I could find;
Like Button that integrates all the popular posts around the world by using the Like Button on Facebook.
Topsy is the one real-time search engine powered by the Social Web. It indexes and ranks search results based upon the most influential conversations millions of people are having every day about each specific term, topic, page or domain queried.
Google Finance is about news and discussions about finance markets in the world.
Google Trends for what is trendy in the world and for specific countries.
This list will be updated.